Sunday, March 18, 2012

Legalism & Pharisees

The interesting thing about Jesus' life and ministry is He didn't have a lot bad to say. There wasn't condemnation and curse, like in the law of the Old Testament. But when He got ticked, it was usually at the religious leaders of the day. The Pharisees (the main leaders mentioned in the NT) thought they were pretty awesome. They spent their lives in Scripture, had their theology "perfect," and looked down on the rest of the peons. Jesus wasn't impressed. He called them names, even. Mean names. He said bad things about them. He threw their money changers out of the temple in a rather violent manner.

This gives me a lot to think about.

1) I'm fairly certain I have spent the vast majority of my adult life sitting under the teaching of Pharisees. Now, of course, they would claim they weren't. They would proudly point to the fact that they make sure NOT to practice keeping the law.

As an aside: If I was an astute or intelligent person, the first time I heard them rail against the law I would have asked if the fact I shouldn't worry about keeping the law meant I could cheat on my husband and kill others. I mean, if I can't truly keep the law perfectly, those would be the ones I'd want to break. They are definitely the most enjoyable by and beneficial to me. :D

Anyway...

2) They believe their theology is perfect. Really, honestly, they believe they have it right and everyone else is an idiot.

3) Re: the term "idiot." They really feel a sense of superiority. One only has to spend all of 5 minutes in their presence as they casually insult the "apostate" preachers like Billy Graham, Chuck Smith, and, well, anyone else, even within their own denominations, who do not agree with them completely. (See "aside" above for one reason it took me so long to figure it out.)

There are darker and, imo, more sinister aspects that, if I remember, I will write about later. I think this is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment