Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Cardinal Rule

...of Calvinist churches in my area is "Say whatever you want about evangelicals, but don't ever say anything bad about other Calvinist churches, unless, of course, we think they are leaning too far towards evangelicalism."

I broke that rule this week. Publicly. On Facebook. For all my friends from our old church to see.

I don't think it went over too well.

As I looked at the few posts I've written so far, I saw that originally I hadn't wanted to say anything publicly about this. But the more I realize just what a horrible thing these churches are doing, the more I think maybe it's worth shaking things up a bit.

However, I realize that I can say what I want without getting snippy...like them.

I might make my next controversial post about the dance my kids will be participating in on Easter morning. No, not liturgical dance (honestly, I really am just not into it). Real, rock music video style dancing. It's gonna be great. Not the response to my post, the dance. My kids have danced for years, but never to music dedicated to glorifying God. It's great to see them dancing for Him.

Anyway, my goal is to actually learn how to deal with this entire situation without going back to my former self of piggish pride. That sort of attitude is promoted in the Calvinist churches in our area. Our new church believes that people respond to kindness more readily than vicious sarcasm. I know, who would think?

No comments:

Post a Comment