Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why Do Pastors Do This?

When you do things that are intended to get people to leave your church, such as what happened to us at the last Calvinist church we attended, should it be surprising if someone says something?

Now I am stuck. For a very brief period of time I felt that I should say something to people about why we had left our church. I had a "savior complex." I guess that is the best way to describe it. I wanted to save people from a church I knew was dying. But now I look at it differently. My contention with the church might cause some people to lose faith. Now that we seem to have made the decision to leave the church we were visiting we face this same problem. Fortunately not as many people will call us and ask why, but the few who do I don't think I can say. I suppose I will just say that "it's complicated."

I really look forward to the day when this will all be over. I just want to get on with my life not sit around wondering why people bother to go into the ministry when it's obvious they cannot love all the people of God.

"Those who love saints, as such, love all saints, how weak in grace, how mean (poor) in the world, how fretful and peevish soever, some of them may be." Matthew Henry, Commentary on Eph 1:15

No comments:

Post a Comment